1st International Workshop on Addressing Dropout Rates in Higher Education (ADORE’20)
Call for Papers
We invite you to participate in the 1st International Workshop on Addressing Dropout Rates in Higher Education (ADORE’20) to be held during the Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference (https://lak20.solaresearch.org/), 2020 in Frankfurt, Germany.
This workshop will focus on learning analytics approaches for reducing student dropout in HE. Our aim is to contribute to “shaping the future of the field” (LAK 2020 conference theme) by bringing together established research practices from various contexts (that is, different countries, different academic institutions and different domains), building a knowledge base of successful paradigms (for example, analytical approaches and decision-making strategies) and sharing the lessons learnt during the process of addressing student dropouts in Higher Education. The goal of this symposium is twofold:
- To create a community of stakeholders in order to share expertise, receive feedback and communicate lessons learnt from the design, adoption and application of data-driven practices (institutional analytics) for addressing dropouts in Higher Education, and;
- To contribute in building a knowledge base of successful practices that are essential for the adoption of learning and institutional analytics.
The workshop will emphasize the design and adaptation of robust, sustainable and transferable strategies for the future. To that end, we welcome contributions of researchers and practitioners that address (but are not limited to) the following topics of interest:
- Defining a solid basis for ethics, data privacy and compliance with the corresponding regulations (e.g., the European General Data Protection Regulation, GDPR);
- Integrating the stakeholders in the loop and putting the students in the center;
- Promoting holistic approaches where reducing dropout is not only an institutional matter but a shared goal among stakeholders;
– Submission opens 1 Nov 2019
– Submission deadline 15 Dec 2019
– Notification of acceptance 5 Jan 2020
Contributions can be in the following forms:
- Full papers (maximum 6 pages)
- Posters (maximum 3 pages)
- Demos (maximum 3 pages).
All contributions to the workshop must follow the format of the Companion Proceedings Template and they should be submitted through Easychair https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=adore20. All contributions will be peer-reviewed by members of the Workshop Program Committee.
We are glad to announce that the following contributions have been accepted and will be presented during the workshop:
- Full papers:
- Agathe Merceron, Petra Sauer and Kerstin Wagner. Accuracy of a cross-program model for dropout prediction in higher education
- Benjamin Gras, Armelle Brun and Anne Boyer. For and by Student Dashboards Design to Address Dropout
- Irene-Angelica Chounta, Kaire Uiboleht, Kersti Roosimäe, Margus Pedaste and Aune Valk. From Data to Intervention: Predicting Students At-Risk in a Higher Education Institution
- Mehrasa Alizadeh, Shizuka Shirai, Noriko Takemura, Shogo Terai, Yuta Nakashima, Hajime Nagahara and Haruo Takemura. A Survey of Learners’ Video Viewing Behavior in Blended Learning
- Natalie Kiesler. Learning Analytics of Student-Centered Advisory Systems in the Introductory Phase of Teacher Education
- Liyanachchi Mahesha Harshani De Silva, María Jesús Rodríguez-Triana, Irene-Angelica Chounta, Kairit Tammets and Shashi Kant Shankar. Curriculum Analytics as a Communication Mediator among Stakeholders to Enable the Discussion and Inform Decision-making